The center of the Perigord Blanc. Since 1790 the capital of the department. The Gallic tribe Petrocorii settled on the banks of the L’Isle, and was named in Gallo-Roman times Vesuna. Together with Puy St-Front Built around a monastery on the other side of the river in 1251 the town of Périgueux arise. Tour de Vesone, the remainder of the temple from the 2nd century that was dedicated to the patron goddess Vesuna. 27 meters high and 20 meters in diameter with walls of nearly 2 meters thick. A reconstruction of the temple complex is seen in the Gallo-Roman hall of the Musée du Périgord The cathedral St-Front, built between 1047 and 1173, with Byzantine domes, which were models for the Sacre Coeur in Paris, is an imposing structure . Symbol of Périgueux. From 1669 the cathedral. Unlike most churches, the ground plan of the church has a Greek cross as a base instead of a Roman cross. Around the cathedral you will find many Renaissance palaces (hôtels). This is the tourist center of Périgueux, many narrow medieval streets and an extensive shopping. Two guided walks take you through the history of the original places that the current Périgueux forms such as:
- Arènes Romaines, the remains of the amphitheater from the 1st century.
- Château Barrière, the skeleton of a medieval castle with Gothic decorations yet, built on the remains of the fortress wall Porte Normande (built from huge stone blocks from the 4th century).
- Villa de Pompey, villa probably the Gallo-Roman family Pompey from the 1st to the 4th-century various
- times rebuilt. A colonnade, living and bathing-hall. From the villa itself, only the foundations can still be found. Fragments of such mosaics can be seen in the Musée du Périgord.
- Mur Gallo-Romain, an excavated part of the last ramparts of the Cité Vésone.
- St. Étiene-de-la-Cité, the first Christian building in the old Roman city built on the spot where the temple of Mars was. A domed church after the religious wars which only two domes of the 11th-and 12th-century remain. Was until 1669 the cathedral of Perigueux.
- Tour Mataguerre, originally located in the no man’s land between the two independent cities. Named after an Englishman 17 years in the lower hall was imprisoned. The last of 28 fortified towers offering a fantastic view of Périgueux. To climb through registration at the tourist office.
- Military Musée du Périgord, a small collection of weapons, uniforms and flags. I.a. objects of the Hundred Years War to the resistance from the Second World War.
- Musée du Périgord, built on the site of a monastery where the chapel and cloister in the whole. One of the
- important museums of France in the field of prehistory. Also a large number of finds from the Gallo-Roman times, ethnological themes (eg Africa) and paintings from the 15th-19th centuries. The collection is huge, sometimes on the same subject a little too much. A focused visit is recommended.