The variety of museums means that for every holiday corridor there is something of his or her interest to find. The castles accommodate many museum pieces such as furniture, paintings and tapestries.
Below is a small selection of museums and the subjects.
- Musée Départementale de Poupées et Jouets d’Antan in Nontron: Oud speelgoed, poppen en poppenhuizen.
- Musée de la Carte Postale ancienne in St.Pardoux : Old postcards
- Musée Fernand-Desmoulin in Brantôme: Collection of prehistoric art and work of local painters, including Ferdinand Desmoulin 19th/20th century.
- Musée Militaire du Perigord in Perigueux: A small collection of weapons, uniforms and flags. I.a. objects from the Hundred Years War and the Resistance during the Second World War.
- Musée du Perigord in Perigueux: One of the most important museums of France in the field of prehistory. Also a large number of finds from the Gallo-Roman times, ethnological themes (eg Africa) and paintings from the 15th-19th centuries. The collection is huge. A focused visit is recommended.
- Musée Aquarium in Sarlat: In several aquariums fauna of the Dordogne.
- Musée Automobile in Sarlat: Here you will find the history of the French especially automobiles.
- Musée de Préhistorie et Parc Archéologique in Beynac: Along the Kasteelweg located. From the Stone Age to the time of the Gauls, and the park around the time of the first farmers and metal workers.
- Le Village du Bournat in Le Bugue: Open Air Museum. a reconstruction of a Périgord village where you get a picture of the daily life. Ideal for children.
- Musee Nationale de Prehistoire te Les Yyzies de Tayac : Museum of pre history
- Musée de la Guerre au Moyen-Age in Castenaud-la-Chapelle: At the Chateau with many impressive ordnance from the 100-year war. Explanation of the effect of a slingshot and another old war and a large collection of weapons and an explanation of the conduct of war at that time.
- Musée du Château in Siorac-en-Perigord : From cooking to seating arrangement.
- Musée du Vin, de la Batellerie et de la Tonnellerie in Bergerac: From tonnenmakerij, transport over the river called gaberes and an impression on the history of viticulture in the area.
- Musée d’Art Sacré in Bergerac: Religious pieces.
- Musée du Tabac in Bergerac : The history surrounding smoking, and use in the garden more than 1100 different tobacco plants.